Nikon 50mm F1.8 G Specifications
The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G is an inexpensive, high-quality standard prime lens for Nikon’s FX (full frame) and DX (APS-C) DSLRs.
A standard prime is one of the best purchases you can make for a DSLR system – the classic 50mm focal length is amazingly versatile, and typically offers extremely good optical quality for a very low cost.
The Nikon 50mm F1.8 G is no exception. A lightweight, no-frills lens on full-frame DSLRs, it offers an effective focal length of 75mm on Nikon’s DX format, making it very useful for portraiture and low-light candid photography at a bargain price.
An essential lens if ever there was one, the AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G from Nikon is the classic normal-length prime featuring a bright maximum aperture and lightweight design.
Corresponding to the natural field of view, the 50mm focal length is well-suited for a wide variety of subjects, including everything from landscape to portraiture.
The f/1.8 design suits working in difficult lighting conditions and also enables controlling the focus position for using shallow depth of field techniques.
One aspherical element is featured in the optical design to minimize spherical aberrations and distortion for high sharpness and accurate rendering.
A Super Integrated Coating also suppresses flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color accuracy.
Additionally, the Silent Wave Motor affords fast, quiet, and precise autofocus performance as well as full-time manual focus override.
- Normal-length prime is designed for FX-format Nikon F-mount cameras, however can also be used with DX models where it provides a 75mm equivalent focal length.
- Bright f/1.8 maximum aperture contributes to both low-light performance as well as offers greater control over depth of field.
- One aspherical element is used to greatly reduce spherical aberrations and distortion in order to achieve high sharpness, clarity, and accurate rendering.
- Super Integrated Coating has been applied to lens elements to minimize surface and internal reflections for a marked reduction in lens flare and ghosting.
- Silent Wave Motor affords quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus override.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.